User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Related articles
- Early August Update
- It's Acorn, but not as we know them...
- RISC OS - 24 bits
- Rounding Up February
- Argonet closes its doors
- News Round Up
- April Fools!
- eBay watch: Working A4s, VRAM, and cheap hardware
- RISCOS Ltd. laugh off Castle allegations with Select3i4
- It's a free country... [updated]
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: RISC OS Products Directory finds new home

RISC OS Products Directory finds new home

Posted by Andrew Poole on 21:34, 4/12/2005 | , , ,

cogiconRebecca Shalfield of Hypertour Software (which interestingly has no mention of RISC OS) has just got in touch to let us know that their new RISC-OS.net website has gone live. The site is a simpler form of RISCOS Ltd's RISC OS Products Directory.

The RISC OS Products Directory was set up by RISCOS Ltd. and was apparently last updated in January 2005. The new version, on RISC-OS.net doesn't contain as much general information as the RISCOS Ltd. version, but is reported to be slightly more up to date, and allows developers to add their own software to the database rather than having to request that it be added.

Of course, there are still other RISC OS Links directories out there, such as Google Directory Category, The ANS Filebase, Paul Vigay's Links Directory (which has just been overhauled again) and the now somewhat out of date (and similarly named) RISCOS.net.

RISC OS Products Directory finds new home
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jeffrey Lee Message #94038, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:44, 11/12/2005, in reply to message #94037
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

So, since I know practically nothing about XML/RDF/RSS/etc, I'm unable to make a decision myself on what schema the files should use. But if someone else was to work all that out, I'd be very happy to write some software to produce or process/spider/search/etc. the files written in that format.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #94039, posted by rich at 20:37, 11/12/2005, in reply to message #94038
Rich
Dictator for life
I've decided it should be RSS. Not because I have a great depth of knowledge of all the XML schemas out there, not because I'm 100% sure it's the best tool for the job, just because it's well supported and I already know how to use it. Sometimes it's enough to get something working fairly well, than to sit around and discuss the perfect solution then never carry it out!

Maybe no-one else will agree and it'll never get off the ground, but it shouldn't take me long and it's an excuse to work on something vaguely interesting for once this year. Also, the new Microsoft RSS extensions may make my RSS dabblings obsolete - or much, much easier to carry out.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #94040, posted by Phlamethrower at 02:07, 12/12/2005, in reply to message #94039
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

Microsoft RSS? ewwww!

*tries to convince Rich to use something else* :p

^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #94041, posted by rich at 08:25, 12/12/2005, in reply to message #94040
Rich
Dictator for life
Not using it. Unless they have version and OS tags ;)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: News and features: RISC OS Products Directory finds new home